Commercial real estate organizations often rely on operational technology (OT) systems to manage their properties, such as HVAC systems, elevators, lighting, and access control systems. These systems are increasingly connected to the internet and vulnerable to cyber threats. Therefore, ongoing cyber security monitoring of OT systems is critical for commercial real estate organizations to protect their assets and ensure business continuity.
The following are some reasons why ongoing cyber security monitoring of OT systems is crucial for commercial real estate organizations:
1. Protecting assets: Commercial real estate organizations invest heavily in their properties and assets. Cyber-attacks on OT systems can cause physical damage, such as shutting down HVAC systems or elevators, which can result in lost revenue, property damage, and potential liability. Ongoing cyber security monitoring can detect and prevent these attacks before they cause significant harm.
2. Ensuring business continuity: OT systems play a vital role in maintaining the day-to-day operations of commercial real estate organizations. A cyber-attack on these systems can disrupt operations and lead to significant downtime, which can affect tenants and customers. Ongoing cyber security monitoring can help identify and mitigate potential threats, ensuring business continuity.
3. Compliance: Commercial real estate organizations are subject to various regulations and standards, such as the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Failure to comply with these regulations can result in fines, legal liabilities, and reputational damage. Ongoing cyber security monitoring can help ensure compliance with these regulations and standards.
4. Proactive threat detection: Cyber threats are constantly evolving, and attackers are becoming increasingly sophisticated. Ongoing cyber security monitoring can help detect and respond to new and emerging threats, ensuring that commercial real estate organizations are prepared to defend against potential attacks.
5. Reputation management: A cyber-attack on a commercial real estate organization's OT systems can damage its reputation and erode trust with customers and tenants. Ongoing cyber security monitoring can help prevent such incidents and demonstrate the organization's commitment to security, which can enhance its reputation and strengthen relationships with stakeholders.
Ongoing cyber security monitoring of OT systems is critical for commercial real estate organizations to protect their assets, ensure business continuity, comply with regulations, detect and respond to threats, and manage their reputation. It is essential to implement a comprehensive cyber security program that includes continuous monitoring, threat detection, and response capabilities to mitigate the risks posed by cyber threats. By prioritizing cyber security, commercial real estate organizations can safeguard their operations, assets, and reputation in an increasingly connected world.
5Q’s team of commercial real estate cyber security experts at 5Q Cyber can provide everything you need to assess and remediate your properties as well as provide ongoing monitoring through our Centry product. To learn more about Centry and how it can protect your properties and assets, visit 5qcloud.com/5q-cyber-centry. To speak with a team member about your organization’s specific cyber security needs, fill out our Contact Us form here.